Thursday, February 15, 2007

Stop Smoking Aids | Chantix | Hypnosis

It was exactly one month ago that I wrote about nicotine addiction and the new medication Chantix.

Right after that post on this blog, I was able to convince at least 6 of my patients to stop smoking with the help of Chantix. It is too soon to tell about the success but at least they are willing to give it a try. The cost of the medication is not cheap as expected.

Other stop smoking cessation aids should also be considered but it will only add to the cost. One of the popular method is hypnosis.

"Lose weight, quit smoking through hypnosis" is the headline in a small column-advertisement in the current bulletin of St John Health(SJH), in Southeastern Michigan. The cost per session is $69.00.

This means that hypnosis is becoming a mainstream smoking cessation aid. I certainly will recommend this method to my patients in the near future.

By the way, I am a medical staff of a hospital in the SJH system.

One interesting way that I am able to convince patients to stop smoking is comparing the price of Chantix and cigarettes. Two of my patients calculated a one-month cost of smoking a half pack of cigarettes per day at around $100.00. These two patients just finished a 2-year follow up of lung nodules which are stable. Despite the risk of lung cancers staring in they faces, they could not stop smoking until now.

Again, as a disclaimer, consult or discuss with your healthcare provider about smoking cessation aids.

No comments: